Friday 10 June 2011

So lonely



"Now no-one's knocked upon my door, for a thousand years or more..."

Bloody hell.  I don't know what's going on in my own personal experience of the Blogosphere... but it's become awfully quiet.  All blogged up and nowhere to go.

I've noticed there has been a fall-off in the visitor figures over the past month or so.  Now, usually there is a fall-off when it comes to the end of May/start of June, and it picks up a couple of months later, but this is nearly like back to last year.  I assume it has something to do with people going on holidays, or students not having free computer access (mental note: do not slag off students again).

Anyway, whatever it is, it has been quiet lately.  Even a coveted link on the old Slugger a week or so back didn't see an increase in traffic to any reasonable extent... but what can you do? 

Anyway, I have long accepted that Gombeen Nation is never going to be the most popular blog in Ireland, but the great thing is that it comes up in searches pretty well.   Tap in any subject close to our hearts - or that of our adversaries - and there it is.  That gives it a certain voice.

And a voice is important.  Throughout so many other parts of the Third World, progressive blogging is a counter-culture phenomenon.  In Ireland though, that does not seem to be the case.  Many could just as easily be  party political blogcasts - with a bit more orthodoxy thrown in.  The difference is...

Don't worry, however.  Domestically popular or not, Gombeen Nation is here to stay.   

With less frivolous posts to come.  Promise.

Sure what else have I to do?  

Back to Gombeen Nation main page

6 comments:

Ponius Apostolicus said...

I LOVE THE BLOG -You had me Frikened there for a minute about the ongoingness of the Blog. It's a focal point in my life and It's what I read every morning at coffee break time. Shure didn't Van Gogh only ever sell one painting in his life and died a pauper, and even that painting was to his brother. And what about Jesus, didn't he have the same problem with only a dozen faithful followers and look at the industry round him now. Tiocfaidh your la and when it does... Imagine the hubris in GomManor when the true worth of the blog comes to light - the interviews on the telly, the front page of TIME, the state funeral - oops that's getting a bit ahead of meself. Big love from one of your disciples PB

The Gombeen Man said...

Great, PB - I'm chuckling away over my own coffee here.

You're right, of course. Weren't even the fallen heroes of '16 hated at the time? And now they're up there with Padre Pio and the rest. And what happened with Van Gogh was eary, to say the least.

I will take inspiration from your JC analogy (my real initials, by some very strange co-incidence) and carry the chalice forth.

Go in peace.

Ella said...

Excuse me whilst I tune up the violin strings...

Now let me see you have good to say about everybody except for students, politicians, public sector workers, investors, priests.. the list is endless and you wonder why readership has fallen off....

GM, Like PB I love the blog, don't sell out to appeal to populist opinion, yeah you'd up the viewing figures but you wouldn't enjoy it and and the current blog faithfuls would soon become the dearly departed

@PB,LOL here!

The Gombeen Man said...

Well, Ella - can't be accused of being all things to all people anyway...

:-)

danger here said...

"Throughout so many other parts of the Third World..."

Classic GM, keep up the good work!

The Gombeen Man said...

Thanks, DH.