Thursday 21 March 2013

Pat Rabbitte and Skrine Hill residents on windfarms - contrasting views

It is one thing to make dismissive comments about the phenomenon known as NIMBYism (Not In My Back Yardism), but would you want one of these monstrous wind turbines close to your home?  

I mean, it is one thing to knowingly move into an area with eyes - and ears - open to any potential sources of disturbance in the area; but to live somewhere previously unspoilt, only to have a disturbance plonked right next to you must be hard to take.  


What struck me about the following feature was the genuine distress of the two residents affected by a windfarm constructed nearby - you can see how close in the video - and the genuine arrogance of Pat Rabbitte. 

What, exactly is Pat's definition of "unobstrusive"?  

Not in his backyard, I suppose.





*PS.  Captions are Gombeen Nation's, not RTE's.


Back to Gombeen Nation main page

6 comments:

Nenad said...

Honestly? I'd rather have a wind-turbine in my backyard than the other shit in a radius of 200km!

Here's a good one: http://forthewind.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/its-in-my-backyard-cartoon.jpg

DC3 said...

It's just the cultural Irish thing again of complete disconnect and lack of sincere empathy. No fear of this Rabbitt individual ever contending with such a crisis.

Where else would you get a flagrant portrayal of MIGHT IS RIGHT dressed up as, I'M ONLY DOING IT FOR YOUR THE GREATER GOOD?...IRELAND... OH AND BY THE WAY IF YOUR NOT WITH THE PROGRAM, THEN YOUR "ONLY" DOING PEOPLE OUT OF JOBS. VERY TASTEFUL.

The Gombeen Man said...

@Nenad. Sure Ned, I woudn't fancy having lived next to Chernobyl back in the day either. Good cartoon. I think the problem here is planning - the Irish authorities have demonstrated their corruption and incompetence in this regard quite spectacularly: witness all the ghost estates and holiday home developments in previoiusly unspoilt areas. We have to accept the the brown envelope and nod and wink are still alive and well. I'm sure it is possible to build windfarms in "ubobstructive" locations, but the one in the video clearly isn't. What gets me most is the utter arrogance of that gobshite Rabbitte.

@DC3. This is the same fool who said on television when asked about FG/Labour election promises that it was expected that politicans tell lies to get into power.

I'll be voting anarchist next time... ie not at all.

Nenad said...

Ok, I got you! We do have wind-turbines in our area up on a remote hillside where nobody lives. I was up there a couple of times and besides that it's an environment-friendly energy resource, I like the sight. It's kinda magnificient. But hey, brown envelopes are standard in this country. Even more so now in hard times ...

GombeenMan said...

We will be hearing about tribunals in 20 years's time, Ned, in response to today's "financial irregularities". Still the same people - with the same mentality - in charge, unfortunately...

DC3 said...

"when asked about FG/Labour election promises that it was expected that politicans tell lies to get into power." And i thought ff (dregs) were reprehensible.